1. High School Tournament #2 will take place on Saturday, November 23rd at NEST+M in Manhattan (Public Forum) and Bronx Collaborative (Policy). Be sure to register on Tabroom by November 18th in order to participate.
Each student MUST fill out a permission slip before the tournament. They will only have to complete it once for the year. The form can be found here.
To check who has already filled out permission slips, go here.
2. The Presidential Scholars Nomination window is now open. Applications are due to NAUDL by 5:00 pm Central Time on Nov. 25, 2019. Each year NAUDL partners with the Department of Education to nominate up to 40 urban debaters to be eligible for this program. While it is not a scholarship program, it is one of our nation's highest honors.
- Seniors graduating in 2020
- GPA 3.5+
- US Citizen
- Record of Academic Achievement
- Record of Extracurricular Achievement
- Nov. 1 Application Opens
- Nov. 25 Nominations Due
- Mid Jan Nominees Announced
- Jan/Feb Complete DOE application
- April Presidential Scholars Announced
3. You are invited to the Debate Workshop/Remix on Monday, November 11th from 9:30am-4:30pm on Columbia University's campus! More details below: You are welcome to attend this highly interactive session to learn how to design, run and participate in Parliamentary debate through engaging Theater-based, Spoken Word Poetry, and Battle Rap/Hip-Hop focused activities. Come ready to have fun while fostering invaluable skills to critically engage in a broad range of issues. The morning guest facilitators will lead Battle Rap/Hip-hop and Theater-Based sessions that welcome participants to engage in bold and artistic activities. The creative afternoon Parliamentary mock debates will allow you to practice mapping your arguments, refuting claims, asking critical questions, and presenting cited evidence. For more information, please contact Ms. Chiara D. Fuller at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. On Thursday, November 14th, there will be a public debate on the topic "This House Would Abolish Pretrial Detention," featuring Columbia Debate Society Members and formerly incarcerated Rikers Debate Project alumni. The debate will take place from 6:30-8:30pm in Alfred Lerner Hall 555 (2920 Broadway, New York NY). The link to the Facebook event is here.
5. Remember to check out this Post-Tournament Lesson Plan by clicking here.