HI Everyone! Reminder that Monday by 5pm is the registration deadline for the New York City High School Debate Championships! We have our traditional breakfast of champions on Saturday Morning - hot breakfast (no bagels!) of bacon, pancakes, eggs and more! We have two days of incredible debates to crown our City Champions!!! The top 2 Varsity Policy Debate Teams will receive qualifications and full scholarships to attend the National Association of Urban Debate Leagues National Championships in Washington DC!!! (Weekend of April 21st!) The top 2 public forum debate teams will receive full scholarships to attend the National Debate Coaches National Championships in Atlanta, Georgia!!! (Weekend of April 21st!)
- 3/17-3/18 - (Saturday AND Sunday) - High School City Championships. Click here.
- 3/23 (Friday!!!) - Girls Debate Tournament. Click here.
- 4/14-4/15 (Saturday AND Sunday) - High School State Championships. Click here.
- 4/28 - Technology Debates. Click here.
- May Financial LIteracy Debate Tournament & Workshops
- 5/26 - Citi Financial Literacy Tournament. Click here.
- 6/7 - Spring Debate Educators Conference (Debate Con) & Coach Meeting Happy Hour (Coach Con). Click here.
This Week's Edition:
For more information check out our website - www.debate.nyc. There is a tab called "Tournaments" and a drop down menu that features the monthly tournaments, City Championships, State Championships and every other tournament we have. Each school is invited to register up to two teams in each event and each division. Which two teams is completely up to coach discretion - the only prequisitie is that both students have participated in at least two tournaments (with each other or different partners). Basically City Championships should not be a student's first tournament!
Top 2 Policy Teams and Coach receive full scholarships to the National Association of Urban Debate Leagues Championships and Dinner! Click here for more info! Weekend of April 21st!
Top 2 Public Forum Teams and Coach receive full scholarships to the National Debate Coaches Association Debate Championships! Click here for more info! Weekend of April 21st!
Join us for our Annual March Women's History Month Debates at the Silberman Graduate School in partnership with the Bella Abzug Leadership Institute. No topic preparation is required! The morning will be topic lectures and prep time. Afternoon is debates! Awards and certificates for all! And its a Friday!!!
After April State Championships... then what?? May is the Financial Literacy Debates! A month long program of workshops and scholarships! Teachers receive a $500 stipend and top debate team is eligible for scholarships and other awards! Learn more and sign up: https://go.debate.nyc/financial-literacy-debates
1. High School Tournament Calendar and Registration
Click here to register for upcoming tournaments and events on our High School Debate Calendar. You can register now for tournaments. The deadline is the Monday at 5:00pm the week of the tournament to make any more additions. We do have to close the tournament on Monday because we have to make final decisions on food orders, judge numbers, and building space issues. You can also view all Tournament Results.
- November 18th - HS Tournament #2 - Public Forum Debate & Varsity Policy (Clinton High School Campus, Bronx)
- November 18th - HS Tournament #2 - Novice and JV Policy Debate Tournament (Bronx Science, Bronx)
- December 16th - HS Tournament #3 (Brooklyn Tech, Brooklyn)
- January 20th - HS Tournament #4 (Brooklyn Tech, Brooklyn)
- February 10th - HS Tournament #5 (Clinton HS, Bronx Collaborative, Worldview)
- March 17th - 18th - CITY CHAMPIONSHIPS (Institute for Collaborative Education, Manhattan)
- April 14th - 15th - STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS (WC Bryant HS, Brooklyn)
- May 26th - Citi Financial LIteracy Debates (TBA)
2. Need Help? Schedule an Outreach Visit, Phone, Email, Chat with our Program Coordinators
Schedule a visit to your debate practice! Chat on the phone about any help needed! Email us questions! Need someone to talk to!! Then contact your borough program coordiantor!
- Bronx - Loretta Brady (Loretta@debate.nyc)
- Harlem/Manhattan - Tyler Beattie (Tyler@debate.nyc)
- Brooklyn/Queens - Courtney Kaufman (Courtney@debate.nyc)
- Program Director - Aubrey Semple (Aubrey@debate.nyc)
3. Getting our Updates? Our Weekly Newsletter and Social Media Updates
- Weekend Newsletter: If you haven't checked out or subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please click here
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/nycudl
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/nycdebateleague
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/nycdebateleague
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/2841859/admin/updates/
4. Got Resoures? Check out our Debate Resources Page (Need to be a member of the NYCUDL)
Each month we update the Debate Coaches Resource Page with the latest handbooks, papers, and evidence on the Debate Topics. Click here for our Teacher Resources Page. (Schools do need to register with the NYCUDL to access)
5. Have you signed up for Debate Con?
Click here to sign up for our Coach Training sessions which occur on Chancellor Professional Development Days. Besides an awesome day of workshops, resources and training. Its our chance four times a year to CELEBRATE YOU with good food, good snacks, good conversations, and inspiring guest speakers! And contact us if interested in teaching at any of our Teacher Conferences.
Thank You for your support to make debate accessible for all!