Hi Everyone! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! THANK YOU for being a member of the NYC Urban Debate League!! And as token of appreciation we would be honored to have you at our Staff/Board/Coach Holiday Party on December 11th. RSVP below! And please also RSVP for High School Tournament #3 (same topic as November, HS Tournament #2!)! See below!
1. NYCUDL Coach/Staff/Board Holiday Party - December 11th. RSVP Now!
Thank you for another historical season of debate in New York City. Please join us to celebrate this Holiday Season at our office on Tuesday, December 11th from 6pm-8:30pm. All staff, board members and coaches are welcome!! It is a Pot Luck so make sure you bring a dish or drinks! And please RSVP because we will be ordering many other goodies and drinks!
2. High School Tournament #2 Results, Photos, and Video!
Thank you for attending HS Tournament #2! You can view Tournament Results anytime by going to our website - www.debate.nyc "Tournaments" tab and click on "Tournament Results" then choose the Tournament for results! Or Click here for Tournament Results! Click here for Tournament Photo Album! Click here for Tournament Video!
3. Student Tournament Internship Application
Have students Interested in getting more involved? Interested in doing other things besides debating? Need an internship for high school, college or career? Then apply for our Student Tournament Internship Program. We are looking for high school students and upper middle school students interested in helping at tournaments in all the different ways how tournaments run. Learn more by clicking here: https://www.debate.nyc/tournament-internship
4. Middle School Tournament #3 High School Juniors & Seniors Can Judge next Saturday!!! We have 2 middle school tournaments coming up on Saturday, December 1st. Best way for your high school debaters to develop debate skills is to judge! Not to mention community service, resume, college applications, etc! Also please let us know if you have a group! We can help provide for transportation and other cool things! We thank PS 161 Alumni, Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health & Science School, and EPIC High School for sending their squads as our new Tournament Student Leaders Program. Judge sign up - https://www.debate.nyc/volunteers-ewf. Or email us if you have a group interested and the best contact person!
5. High School Tournament #3 is open to registration and CLOSES DECEMBER 10TH MONDAY, 5PM TODAY! Click here to sign up! Reminder you can add "TBA entries" and change names by Wednesday. Also, thanks to coach feedback we have added an Intermediate/Junior Varsity Division to our High School Public Forum Tournaments which will now feature Beginners, Novice, Intermediate and Open/Advanced Divisions. FINALLY, 9am!!!! is the deadline to be physically at the tournament and register. That was the big issue with HS Tournament #1. Students/Schools arriving late can still compete in Rounds 2 and 3. But please make sure to plan accordingly for 9am arrival. Only a teacher/adult can register students.
Tournament Registration Link (Registration deadline is 5pm!)
New Division! Junior Varsity/intermediate Division.
This is for students in their Freshmen/Sophomore years, former middle school debaters.
Brooklyn Tech High School, 29 Fort Greene Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Think your teams are not ready? Need more materials? Contact our staff! Best way to learn is to try!!:
1. Public Forum Debate Resources. Updated Weekly from the NYC Debate Center.
The New York City Debate Center is located at our office and provides weekly instruction for students and coaches. NYCUDL coaches are welcome to drop in to observe lessons, meet with staff, and also schedule 1-1 professional development training. The Debate Center is also open to all NYCUDL high school students. We make available to all NYCUDL coaches, the weekly current events quizzes, topic lectures, and other lessons and curriculum at the NYC Debate Center.
2. 2018-2019 Tournament Calendar! Save the dates! NEW CALENDAR SYSTEM!
We have a new calendar system on our website so you can add the Tournament Calendar to your Google Calendar, iCalendar or other feeds. As well as share via social media, Email, etc. Each tournament location is also linked to Google Calendar for directions. And you will also see a button that takes you to Tabroom.com to register for that tournament. Visit our High School Calendar: https://www.debate.nyc/hs-calendar.
5. School Registration for this Year! SCHOOL REGISTRATION CLOSES JANUARY 1ST! You can still register after January 1st, but competition and training will begin the new school year.
No changes from last year! You can sign up by visiting: https://go.debate.nyc/school-registration-2018-2019. We do have fee waivers for Title I schools that cannot afford and that can host tournaments! Click here -
6. Getting our Updates? Our Weekly Newsletter and Social Media Updates
- Weekend Newsletter: If you haven't checked out or subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please click here
- Weekly Coach Blasts: http://blog.debate.nyc/middle-school-coach
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/nycudl
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/nycdebateleague
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/nycdebateleague
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/2841859/admin/updates/
7. College Scholarship Opportunities
College Board Scholarship Program! College Board Opportunity Scholarships program, lays out six key steps in the college application process and gives high school students a chance to win money in monthly drawings tied to each step. The steps for students include, for example, successfully building a college list (six hundred awards of $500 each) and studying for the SATs using Khan Academy's Official SAT Practice resource (fifteen hundred awards of $1,000 each). The College Board offers free online, on demand resources that students can use to complete all six steps. Students who complete all six actions will be eligible for a drawing for twenty-five scholarships worth $40,000 each. You can read more about this program here: http://bit.ly/2AnpIrx.
Calvin Coolidge Scholarship! Attention High School Juniors! Applications open! The Coolidge Scholarship is an annually awarded, full-ride, presidential scholarship that covers a student’s tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study. This one-of-a-kind scholarship may be used at any accredited college or university in the U.S.http://bit.ly/2NXjlid. You can also learn more about college scholarships on our page - http://bit.ly/2O5deJ2.
Attention Graduating Seniors!!! National Urban Debate League Nomination for the US Presidential Scholars Award is now open! Applications due November 19th! Check out our NAUDL student opportunities for more information! https://www.debate.nyc/student-opportunities.