Hi Everyone! Hope everyone had a great weekend! First, TODAY 5PM IS THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER TEAMS FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL TOURNAMENT #2!!! ALL NAME CHANGES, JUDGES AND PERMISSION SLIPS NEED TO BE ENTERED BY WEDNESDAY 5PM! We already have 190 teams registered!!! 20 Teams on the Waitlist!!! And this is why the Monday 5pm is a hard deadline to ensure space, rooms, meals, permission slips and all other logistics!!!
After the Monday 5pm deadline, is Debate Educators Conference or "Debate Con" X on Tuesday! This is a full day of workshops, guest speakers, panels, networking and a coach happy hour! Click here to register! You can also view our schedule of sessions by clicking here! Our Keynote Speaker is Mr. Stefan Bauschard, international renowned Debate Coach, Founder of Millennial Speech & Debate, Harvard Debate Coach and the resume goes on and on! Sessions include - Parliamentary Debate, Public Forum Debate, Judge Training,, Coaching 101, Open Office Hours, Coach Happy Hour, Congressional Debate and more sessions being added. Not to mention awesome breakfast, lunch and of course our Coach Happy Hour!
General Reminders! Top 10 Reminders!
1. Debate Educators Conference (11/6) ("Debate Con X"). Click here to sign up! November 6th.
On November 6th we host Debate Con X at our office, 25 Broadway 12th Floor. Join us for a day of workshops, guest speakers, networking and coach happy hour afterwards! We host Debate Educator Conferences on every Chancellor Professional Development Day which are three times a year. Click here to learn more about Debate Cons as well as our archive of past debate educator conferences. We are honored to have International Debate Coach, Founder of Millennium Debate, and Board Chair of the NYCUDL, Stefan Bauschard as our Keynote Speaker. Join us for a day devoted to the incredible debate educators who made debate possible in NYC.
2. New Public Forum Topic Lectures Page!
In addition to the coach resource page that has handbooks on the monthly public forum topics. We have created a page of lectures and powerpoint presentations on the monthly topic that can be downloaded and used in the classroom. Please share any feedback! Click here!
3. TOPICS AND REGISTRATION FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL TOURNAMENT #2!! Getting Ready for Tournament #2!!!! New topics!!! New Registration! Click here to Register your teams! Deadline is always the Monday of the week of the tournament at 5:00pm! Parliamentary Debate & City Council/Congressional Debate at JHS 278/Marine Park and Public Forum Debate at Hunters Point Community Middle School!
Middle School Parliamentary Debate Topics for Middle School Tournament #2
- This House believes nature has more influence than nurture.
- This House supports Bill DeBlasio’s SHSAT admissions proposal
- This House would grant prisoners the right to vote.
Resolved: The United States federal government should impose price controls on the pharmaceutical industry.
A total of 402 coaches and 1,009 students voted for the resolution. The winning resolution received 56% of the coach vote and 50% of the student vote.
Topic #1 - A Resolution to Establish the Moon as a United States Colony
Topic #2 - A Resolution to Implement Open Borders
Topic #3 - A Resolution to Protect Young Citizens From the Harms of Social Media
Topic #4 - A Resolution to Enact an Excise Tax on Meat Sales in New York
Topic #5 - A Resolution to Increase Students’ Physical Activity
Topic #6 - A Resolution to Limit the Amount of Time Spent Playing Video Games
Topic #7 - A Resolution to Reduce the Prevalence of Co-Education in Favor of SingleGender Schooling
4. Permission Slips! All students need to complete a 2018-2019 permission slip for the season! - https://www.tfaforms.com/348080. And please let us know if you do not see your school on the list.
5. 11/10 - Sign Up Now for Middle School Tournament #2!!!!! http://nycudlms2.tabroom.com
6. 2018-2019 Tournament Calendar! Save the dates! NEW CALENDAR SYSTEM!
We have a new calendar system on our website so you can add the Tournament Calendar to your Google Calendar, iCalendar or other feeds. As well as share via social media, Email, etc. Each tournament location is also linked to Google Calendar for directions. And you will also see a button that takes you to Tabroom.com to register for that tournament. Visit our Middle School Calendar: https://www.debate.nyc/ms-calendar
Our 2018-2019 Membership Form is now Live. Click here! Membership pricing remains the same as last year - $999.00 is our regular membership, $599.00 Title I NYC public schools that demonstrate need, and membership fees are waived for schools that can host Tournaments (minimum requirement of 50+ classrooms, auditorium, cafeteria, and help with set up). Membership benefits include: monthly tournaments, tournament meals, curriculum, professional development, site visits, drop in Debate Center, Debate Club, Summer Camp scholarships, outreach visits, Girls Debate League, debate field trips, law firm debate nights and more! We will also be piloting Congressional Debate at our middle school tournaments after rave reviews from City Champs and State Champs and a new grant to support. Questions about membership please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-455-1079. When you complete the membership form, you will be sent an invoice. Schools that have not paid 2017-2018 membership invoices - please do so immediately! Registration for next school year - https://go.debate.nyc/school-registration-2018-2019.
9. CITY COUNCIL AND CONGRESSIONAL DEBATE!
We are so proud to announce the expansion of our Congressional Debate pilot as "City Council Debate." For years we have offered it at City and State Champs, and due to growing demand of students and coaches, we are expanding Congressional Debate to all our parliamentary tournaments. Several benefits of Congressional Debate; (1) Do not need a partner; (2) Civic Engagement with local and national officials and debating actual legislation; (3) engaging in City Council Debate Topics as well as Congressional Debate Topics! (d) Large Teams! We do have a registration cap, but Congressional Debate is a great option for large programs so not to exclude students.
Monday, October 15th is the Topic Nomination deadline. Students can submit their legislation by clicking here!
Legislation Packet for Middle School Tournament #2! Three new resolutions will be added after we receive nominations on October 15th! Click here for the first three resolutions!
10. Getting our Updates? Our Weekly Newsletter and Social Media Updates
- Weekend Newsletter: If you haven't checked out or subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please click here
- Weekly Coach Blasts: http://blog.debate.nyc/middle-school-coach
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/nycudl
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/nycdebateleague
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/nycdebateleague
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/2841859/admin/updates/
Thank You for your support to make debate accessible for all!