Hi Everyone! Thanks again for attending our last tournament of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!! And wow what a tournament and each middle school tournament is larger than the next. Shout outs to our INCREDIBLE hosts - In Tech Academy and Inwood Academy for Leadership. Thank you everyone for attending!! Thank you to all coaches, students, volunteers, parents, judges and staff for a historic 2018!!!!! Hope to see you at our Holiday Party on Tuesday! Sign Up Below!!!
1. NYCUDL Coach/Staff/Board Holiday Party - December 11th. RSVP Now!
Thank you for another historical season of debate in New York City. Please join us to celebrate this Holiday Season at our office on Tuesday, December 11th from 6pm-8:30pm. All staff, board members and coaches are welcome!! It is a Pot Luck so make sure you bring a dish or drinks! And please RSVP because we will be ordering many other goodies and drinks!
2. Middle School Tournament #3 Results!!! And thank you for feedback!
Thanks for folks completing the coach feedback emails! We try to send after each tournament - takes 10 seconds - SMILEY FACE, NEUTRAL FACE, UNHAPPY FACE. But we use that 10 seconds to gauge how we did as well as advice on what we can do better. Results are always posted on Tabroom.com or you can visit our website - www.debate.nyc and "Tournaments" tab and the first option is "Tournament Results." Ballots also posted and emailed through Tabroom after each tournament.
3. TOURNAMENT FEEDBACK:
1. All students should wait OUTSIDE THE ROOM until judges arrive. Students should also leave the room after the round BEFORE THE JUDGE exits. In other words, there must be an adult in the room at all times.
2. Lunch Guests!!! We order the number of pizzas for students and volunteers. The problem (good problem!) is we have lots of guests, families, parents, etc. However this becomes a "bad problem" when we run out of food. We have no idea how many guests folks are bringing. So we will pilot a google form for schools to register guests. Schools will only be provided pizza numbers based on students, judges and guests. Please help us so no one goes hungry in a tournament!
3. Judge Fines. We had several schools bring lots of debate teams, but very little judges. Some schools were 5-10 judges short. With double flighted rounds, judges are judging 6 rounds back to back with no break because we have no extra judges to help. So we will be piloting fines of $50.00.team if a school does not bring judges. Please let us know if you are having problems with recruiting judges. 1 judge missing is not a problem but when when schools are missing nearly all their judges, that cannot happen. And is unfair to all the judges who do show up (and wont be showing up next time). And unfair for students - who are not able to debate because there is no judge or the round is delayed (and entire tournament delayed) as we try to find a judge.
4. New Middle School Coach Survey!! Lunch after Round 3? Several coaches have asked about this idea since all MS Public Forum Tournaments will be double flighted - it is a longer day. We did send a poll regarding Double Debating versus Double Flighting - the majority decision was still for double flighting. But even more importantly the vast majority indicated even if we did "Double Debating" (two simultaneous rounds in the same room at same time with different judges versus "Double Flighting" - 2 rounds back to back in the same room with same judge) - that schools were struggling to find judges. And so the "double debating" model would only work if we had double the number of judges which would be impossible. BUT one idea from several coaches was using the break after Round 3 and before Awards to do lunch. There are Advantages (will save time ie 30 min - 1 hour or at least make up for delays 30 min- 1 hour) as well as Disadvantages (super long day with 3 back to back rounds for kids, judges (they have to judge 6 rounds back to back double flighted - and judges include parents, coaches, etc). Check out our survey to learn more and PLEASE COMPLETE AND INDICATE THOUGHTS - https://goo.gl/forms/hodycSiiRtRwocSs2. This survey is only for middle school public forum debate coaches!
5. Middle School Public Forum Topic Rotation. 2 Months per Topic? or 1 Month Per Topic? So the National Speech and Debate Association did a pilot this year September/October topic, November/December topic. And now its back to monthly topics. We received some feedback from coaches that they liked the 2 month rotation - gives them time to coach the topics (which are high school level topics). ie the January topic is on economic job growth versus debt. Tough for a 6th grader to learn economics 101 in a month or less. On the other hand, some folks like keeping it to the national calendar and the high school calendar (especially if you are a 6th-12th grade school). So just gauging interest and ideas. No formal decision yet but how folks liked the 2 month model.... Poll link - https://goo.gl/forms/qxTCmbPfd6M6QUSn2
General Reminders! Top 10 Reminders!
2. TOPICS AND REGISTRATION FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL TOURNAMENT #4!! Getting Ready for Tournament #4!!!! New topics!!! New Registration! Deadline is always the Monday of the week of the tournament at 5:00pm! Parliamentary Debate & City Council/Congressional Debate at WHEELS and Public Forum Debate at PS/IS 266 in Queens!
Middle School Parliamentary Debate Topics for Middle School Tournament #4
This House would increase funding for space exploration.
This House would close the Rikers Island Prison.
This House would grant adolescents the right to their own medical decisions.
Resolved: The United States federal government should prioritize reducing the federal debt over promoting economic growth.
A total of 423 coaches and 1,199 students voted for the resolution. The winning resolution received 65% of the coach vote and 59% of the student vote.
4. Permission Slips! All students need to complete a 2018-2019 permission slip for the season! - https://www.tfaforms.com/348080. And please let us know if you do not see your school on the list.
5. 2018-2019 Tournament Calendar! Save the dates! NEW CALENDAR SYSTEM!
We have a new calendar system on our website so you can add the Tournament Calendar to your Google Calendar, iCalendar or other feeds. As well as share via social media, Email, etc. Each tournament location is also linked to Google Calendar for directions. And you will also see a button that takes you to Tabroom.com to register for that tournament. Visit our Middle School Calendar: https://www.debate.nyc/ms-calendar
6. Register Now for the 2018-2019 Debate Season! New School Membership Form is now Live! DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS DECEMBER 31ST FOR NEW SCHOOLS! After that date you can still register but tournament participation and training will take place the following season.
Our 2018-2019 Membership Form is now Live. Click here! Membership pricing remains the same as last year - $999.00 is our regular membership, $599.00 Title I NYC public schools that demonstrate need, and membership fees are waived for schools that can host Tournaments (minimum requirement of 50+ classrooms, auditorium, cafeteria, and help with set up). Membership benefits include: monthly tournaments, tournament meals, curriculum, professional development, site visits, drop in Debate Center, Debate Club, Summer Camp scholarships, outreach visits, Girls Debate League, debate field trips, law firm debate nights and more! We will also be piloting Congressional Debate at our middle school tournaments after rave reviews from City Champs and State Champs and a new grant to support. Questions about membership please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-455-1079. When you complete the membership form, you will be sent an invoice. Schools that have not paid 2017-2018 membership invoices - please do so immediately! Registration for next school year - https://go.debate.nyc/school-registration-2018-2019.
8. Getting our Updates? Our Weekly Newsletter and Social Media Updates
- Weekend Newsletter: If you haven't checked out or subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please click here
- Weekly Coach Blasts: http://blog.debate.nyc/middle-school-coach
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/nycudl
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/nycdebateleague
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/nycdebateleague
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/2841859/admin/updates/
Thank You for your support to make debate accessible for all!